- Coronary artery disease
- Other heart-related disorders
- Damage from heart attacks
This test is frequently used to investigate patient presenting with chest pain, breathless and those who require pre-operation assessment for fitness for surgery.
- Is this test safe as it involves radiation?
- This is a very safe test as the amount of radiation involved is very low. The risk versus benefits of any medical radiation should be discussed with your heart specialist. This test is not recommended if you are likely to be pregnant.
- How long is the test
- The nuclear scan is performed twice, one for the rest phase and again for the stress phase. Both scans are usually completed in the same day but occasionally due to scheduling factors the test may be completed over 2 days.